Wednesday, June 13, 2007

VooDoo Daddy

This is JP Borda, of Milblogging fame. (We know he isn't actually famous, but we have to humor him! wink-wink!) Doesn't he look jaunty in his Afghan shemagh? (Say yes--he's very insecure!) I hold him responsible for getting me involved with blogs--so I'm not sure if I should bless him or curse him! I was an AnySoldier supporter in 2004 when I came across his picture one day and he mentioned he had a blog. I decided to check out his blog and I was hooked! JP was a very funny blogger! Warped, sarcastic humor! I wish he had left National Guard Experience up 'cause we'd still be laughing!

One of the first giggle-fests I remember was the mouse in his room in Afghanistan that made him scream like a little girl and when guys ran into his room to see what was the matter, it suddenly became this huge rat with long teeth--threathing I'm sure!

Then there was the beef jerky war with another soldier, Mustang. Have no idea how to describe that, but it was fun. He educated us on games they played out in the field when they weren't engaged. Dear Lord, it sounded like kamacazes! Throwing rocks in each other's mouths--do you know how much fecal matter is in that soil?! Pulling tricks on each other! The soldier who crawled into his sleeping bag head first out in the field and almost suffocated! The pen that exploded from the heat and they thought they might have a sniper bearing down! He told us about piss tubes, camel spiders, guys who were with him and even basic training! I remember the choo-choo game as soapy and nekkid? And poor Boobah--he was tortured and abused! And we were abused by his blabbing on and on and on about the Olsen twins!

The sweetest story was about his 3 yr old son who had a Goofy doll to represent his Dad and carried it everywhere. One night he woke up crying and told his mom he wanted his dad. His mom tried to give him Goofy and he said no, I want my real dad! Mom said she did, too, and they both cried for a bit. These kind of stories were what made us love JP. I'm speaking for quite a few people he affectionately calls his "crackheads". (It better be affectionately, dude!)

I was writing to a Lt in JP's group and sent him a water gun and told him to find JP and shoot him in the face and tell him it was from me! I also sent JP a water gun with the same instructions for the Lt but, of course, the plan was spoiled because of rank! Spoil sports! It was just a little bit of water!

Sometime in this, I had a conversation with JP while he was on guard duty. I sent him an email and noticed he answered it rather fast--and they were about 7 hrs ahead of us which meant it was very late in Afghanistan! We sent several emails back and forth. Me, safe at home in Alabama and JP, thousands of miles away in a war zone.

Finally, it was time to redeploy and it seemed to take forever! We know what the first thing he did was when he landed in the US 'cause baby Joseph arrived 9 mos later! heh I think the guy was on a mission! He moved his family to Texas not long after and had just moved to CA when his guard unit was activated and has spent several months in MS getting ready for Iraq with the Bad VooDoo Platoon. Put some curses on those insurgents!

JP, get your butt home safely 'cause there's a group of women who want to give you some hugs! And it's your own fault for being so warm and loving. Okay, I think I just threw up in my mouth alittle! j/k Love ya!



Oh, I almost forgot, JP............. ZING!!!!!

http://www.milblogging.com/trackback.php?y=07&m=06&entry=entry070612-113104

Update: JP is in Kuwait and reports it's 130 degreea at 10 am! Hot-cha-cha!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I forgot about some of those things....jeeeez. It never fails to amaze me when emailing with these guys, just how far away from home they truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God keep them safe until they return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SK - I'm still remembering some things like the Hot or Not survey but he didn't make it easy by removing his NGE! I just remember laughing A LOT!! And worrying when he'd be on a mission and not heard from for awhile!

    And yes DL, I hope everyone will join in in saying prayers for their safety while they are deployed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alabama Bloggers Carnival, #11...


    Do not attempt to adjust your monitor. Yes, you are in the right spot for this week’s carnival. Unfortunately The Right Track is having some blog issues and had to gracefully bow out of the schedule until he finds a solution to his blog problems...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'd forgotten a lot of that stuff! I sure miss the "Mortar Maggots" but I'm sure the VooDoo boys will provide fodder for JP's fertile imagination. Prayers for all the Bordas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Amazing story. I can't believe you remembered so much. Even I forgot some of that stuff. Except the part about me being handsome. You did mention that, right? All I have to say, is wow. I'm grateful for friends like you, and I'm glad you and all my "crackheads" are around for another deployment. I'm definitely going to need the support during my year long mission of Convoy Security throughout Iraq.

    Again, wow. I'm touched. I gotta run though, this damn keyboard is acting up. I think it might be shorting out (Damn, tear drops)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I feel a lot better about my memory!! Now if I could just remember my ss#, etc! ha I'm curious about what YOU didn't remember! Do you remember the soldier putting the mortar shell in the wrong way?! You didn't say anything about the pictures--they were on the cd that Jared sent me. Took forever to download them! Glad to still be in your "camp" but hate that you have to be away from your family for so long.

    Take good care of that handsome mug! I will be praying for you and the Bad Voo Doo Platoon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had forgotten a lot of this,too, thanks So much for posting all this:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kathi! I am now convinced that my memory is not as bad as I thought! ha

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, I forgot about the rocks. Silly guys. I remember the BooBah well though..lol It seems like yesterday (yes I am sure I forgot things that happened yesterday too).
    I recall sitting reading NSE laughing and spitting my drink all over the monitor. Several times. My sons thought I was nuts, they probably still do. I used to check back often so I could make comments to the comments. I was a self confessed JP"crackhead". Mustang23 was great but JP had my support in the whole jerky war.
    While I was home after my surgery JP was there to make me laugh. Him in Afghanistan and I only had surgery. What a guy. I met several wonderful people through NGE. It felt like a family. (Yes that is what my family really acts like.)
    I wonder if JP would like a SpongeBob....hhmmmm Might be an idea. What you think?

    ReplyDelete