Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Consider this a warning…..

Esther Howland, the woman who produced the first commercial American valentines in the 1840s, sold a then mind-boggling $5,000 in cards during her first year of business. The valentine industry in the United States has been booming ever since. Today, over 1 billion valentine cards are sent in this country each year -- second in number only to Christmas cards, according to the Greeting Card Association. (The happy day is also celebrated in Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, France and Australia.)Around 85 percent of all valentines are purchased by women. In addition to cards, there are millions of boxes of chocolates and bouquets of roses purchased (mostly by men) for the February 14 holiday

You have 7 days to think of something romantic...er,   sweet....good..something nice to do for your loved one! Get it done! Don't be like my husband and wait until the day to run by on the way home to get a picked over card! Better than nothing--- barely!

Does anyone have a special Valentine's Day memory? I've racked my brain but can't remember one. I can remember other special days but not that one.

SEVEN DAYS......the clock is ticking!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Linda! You did it! I'm so proud. (sniff)

    I lost my virginity on Valentines day back in 1980. To a girl 3 years older than me too! Score! All other Valentines days since have been just "eh".

    The price of greeting cards is just friggin' amazing these days. Friggin' $5 for a card. It's ridiculous. I remember (dating myself again) when them suckers were .50 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! My sweety and I have reservations at Ruth's Chris Steak House, romantic enough for me baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tony, pace yourself! heh Blame Basil. He made it too easy to start one. I find it hard to believe that you haven't had a spectacular Valentine's since 1980! Are you trying? Everything is more expensive! I buy a lot of cards and I'm always alittle surprised when I look on the back! You could always get creative and make your own! ;)

    Carol, sounds like a good deal to me! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special Valentine memory...hmm.

    There was that one time (when I was barely 20) that I got all desperate to finally have a Valentine's date and invited that guy that gets on everyone's nerves but not so much they're willing to hurt his feelings and say so to his face to dinner. It all seemed to be going so well, he seemed so sweet and funny, until I went upstairs to check on my daughter. When I returned, he was standing there wearing nothing but a huge smile, his clothing in a heap at the bottom of the stairs. I threw his clothing out the door, then him...and watch him run for them all nakie from the window. lol

    Not what I was aiming for, but still fun in its own way. It was special to me anyhow. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! Gee, what was on his mind? Running around outside picking up clothes in his birthday suit--priceless! Too bad you don't have pictures! hehe

    ReplyDelete