Saturday, February 10, 2007

Bugging the Soldiers

Dave, at Garfield Ridge, (http://garfieldridge.typepad.com/) has a scary post about an article in Wired concerning a deadly bacteria that some soldiers may be bringing home on their clothes and bodies, especially if they've been wounded by an IED. Seems the insurgent bastards rub their explosive weapons with the flesh of dead animals. The name of the bug is acinetobacter and a website is available at: www.acinetobacter.org

I think people need to be aware of this and do what they can to attack it.

One more thing to worry about.

4 comments:

  1. bama2, I'm the author of the article in Wired about acinetobacter, The Invisible Enemy, and in fact what I say in the article is that the story about insurgents and IEDs turned out not to be true. Read the whole article and you'll have a better picture of what's really happening with this bacteria, which is indeed worthy of concern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read the whole article, maybe I need to tweak my speed-reading skills! I do remember hearing and/or reading that the IEDs were put inside dead animals at one time. It isn't hard to pass around germs, so yes, I agree it's something to be concerned about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thanks, Steven, for coming by and pointing that out. Sorry I failed to give you credit for the article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, man, thanks for mentioning the subject!

    ReplyDelete