Friday, November 16, 2007

No Sugar-Coating!

Made my way to the eye clinic today and had my eyes dilated and photographed by a computer camera. Makes a very colorful graph that looks nothing like an eye! When the retina dr came in, he said he wasn't going to sugar-coat it and he didn't! He said it was going to be an uphill battle to correct my eye and something I'd always have to be careful of keeping my BP and BS in line to prevent more damage. My rgt eye needs more surgery to remove some scar tissue and fiddlin' with---this time shorter surgery. My left eye needs some lazer surgery. They want me to come back in 2 wks to have dye put in my vein so they can look at the veins in my eyes and decide how much! Yipee! More surgery and needles and  fun! He said a lot of things that I wasn't expecting and I think my brain was saying reject, reject while he was talking! I was alittle stunned---dang, some sugar would've been okay with me!

Interesting ride home. Very tuff to see! And it was 4-5 traffic! Thirty minutes of scary driving! There's one very lucky bike rider with a flashing light on his rear-end! Had it not been for that light I doubt I would've seen him in time to slow down! (What the heck is someone doing on a bike during peak traffic time?! Death wish?)

I hate diabetes! Guess I'll have to try to get my act together!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't get better news, but it could have been worse I guess. I may be facing something like you've been going through in the not to distant future.

    I don't know how to send you some sugar which you surely don't need, but will ((((((((((LINDA)))))))))) help? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, You've got an uphill battle, but hang in there!

    Is it the diabetes that caused your eye problems? Have you looked into alternative treatment? There's a doctor in Homewood, Woody Fritz. I don't know if he could help you but I've heard great things about him. Here is his website: http://fritzclinic.com/.

    Don, I wish you the best with what you may be facing.

    Oh, and Linda, I'm with you on bike riders in 5:00 traffic. It's hard enough without having to worry about some goof ball on a two wheeler! You seem to be handling everything with a sense of humor but I know what you're going through is tough (and scary). You are on my prayer list.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind thoughts! And sugar is not my friend, Don, but I sure am drawn to it! Trouble is, almost everything turns to sugar once it's in your system! And what temptations will be around for the next couple of months!

    Thanks, Julie! The diabetes caused my eyes to grow extra veins and the BP and BG caused them to leak. The lazer surgery on my left eye is to head this off. I do tend to look at things with humor but this is very scary, too. I don't want to have to learn braille! I'm going to check the dr's website.
    The guy on the bike was in Altadena and, at first, I thought someone had decorated their mailbox for Xmas! It was almost dark which didn't help! I was grateful to make it home! ;)

    ReplyDelete