Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Yellow Mama

That's the nickname of Alabama's electric chair. It was built by a British convict in 1927 and got its name from the highway-line paint that made it a bright yellow! It was an eye-catcher, for sure!

When I was 15-16, I was planning to go to Youth Legislature in Montgomery and needed a bill to propose. I decided to have one that said the death penalty should be discontinued. I made an appointment to see the warden of Kilby Prison to discuss the death penality with him. I spent the night with my sister and she dropped me off at the prison the next day. The warden was busy when I got there, so I was put in a waiting room that contained prisoners and their visitors! Can we say uncomfortable?! I was sitting by the open door--actually, I think it was a doorless opening--and not planning to move an inch! There were a couple of long windows that went to the floor and I noticed prisoners outside doing things like picking up trash. One of them came up to the window and looked in. I averted my eyes but felt him staring and became even more uncomfortable! When the person came to take me to the warden's office, I almost hopped up to get out of there asap!

I can't remember what all we talked about, but the warden was very nice--especially since I'm sure he had more important things to do! After our short conversation, he surprised me by asking if I'd like to see the electric chair! Without giving it any thought, I quickly said yes!

It was in another building and to get there I had to go with two guards across the prison yeard where there were prisoners! The first step was going through a door that was in a 2-3 story wall of iron bars. One guard went through, then me and then the other guard. When that door clanked shut, chills went up my neck! Suddenly, I wasn't so sure I wanted to do this!

We stepped out into the prison yard and I was immediately aware of the prisoners, but the guards were walking closely, so I felt pretty safe. Had he asked, though, I probably would've let him carry me like a 3 yr old across the yard! heh We talked on the way to another smaller building and had to walk up steps to the second floor. The hallway to the execution chamber was on the outside wall of the building and I think there were about three cells on the way. As soon as we came in, the prisoners were begging for cigarettes. I am sure they were very courious about what was going on and why I was there. And there, as we passed the last cell, was Yellow Mama. I don't know what I was expecting, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a big shiny yellow chair! There were straps all over it and the guards were telling me what went where. And then they wanted to know if I wanted to sit in it! Sit in the electric chair?! I feel sure I declined! I remember I had on an orange and white sweater and a white skirt, but for the life of me, I can't remember if I sat in the electric chair!!! Why, oh why, didn't I take my camera with me?!

The guards explained how once the prisoner was "situated" in the chair, someone took the small sign that looked like a wooden lollipop with "ready" on one side and put it in a hole in the brick wall, which was only a partial wall, where the "juice" was to let them know it was time to turn the swich on. This was directly behind Yellow Mama. (Notice in the picture in the rgt side, looks like the sign was still being used when it was put in another prison, except this time using a one-way mirror.)

All of this was interesting, but I was glad to leave and I can't even remember the outcome of my bill. I think there were more than we could get to for the long week-end that we were allowed to sit in the desks, fullibuster and vote on bills! And besides, there was this really cute guy from Talladega!

Yellow Mama was retired and in 2002 lethal injection became the execution choice. I also changed my mind about the death penalty long ago.

6 comments:

  1. [...] (Frankly, my dear…) remembers a visit to the electric [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the death penalty side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well told story.
    The whole death penalty attitude seems to change with age and enlightenment, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the attitude about the death penalty changes as people get older, bitter, frustrated with their lot in life and are looking to take it out on someone. Conservativism has destroyed this country and its a shame that there are so many ingorant and regressive people who call themselves Americans and vote

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roy H Montgomery AreaJune 15, 2009 at 10:20 AM

    I say fire up big yellow mama along with lethal injection and start clearing them off death row and out of our tax money..........declare a state holiday and whats saved on one executed vermin the state can throw a big BBQ for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if someone took anothers life they should die or fry for it, i am sure someone suffered, let the miserable bastard or bitch pay up for what they did, let them get their
    come-uppance an sweat it out wonderin what its gonna be like to have 2,000 volts or
    more pumped thru a living body strapped to a chair an wired to a part of the nations power grid, can't be any worse than what they did to someone and their family. lethat injection ? F that man , maybe i am wrong but i heard theres like no suffering, Nope if someone was mudered or lost their life in a rotten way due to someone else, yup that someone else
    should pay for it an frankly i hope thteres a pot of boiling oil in dantes inferno once he or she is done with the chair, might as well bring back the noose while your at it
    give the condemed freedom of choice the victim sure as hell did not get that.

    ReplyDelete